What is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that encases a tooth to restore the tooth to its original shape, size and strength as well as to improve the overall appearance. A dental crown could be used for the following reasons:
- Protecting a weak or cracked tooth
- Restore a broken tooth
- To cover large filling
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To cover misshapen or discolored teeth
- To cover a dental implant
What is a Dental Bridge?
A dental bridge literally bridge the gap created by one of more missing teeth. A bridge is made up of two crowns for the teeth on either side of the gap – these two anchoring teeth are called abutment teeth – and a false tooth in between. Dental bridges are supported by natural teeth or implants. Bridges can:
- Restore your smile
- Restore the ability to properly chew and speak
- Maintain the shape of your face
- Distribute the forces in your bite properly by replacing missing teeth
- Prevent remaining teeth from drifting out of position
To schedule a dental crown or bridge consultation at Willett & Patton DDS, call our Columbia, MO office today at (573)445-5300.